|Barberini Faun, Glyptothek Munich, Germany.|
This sculpture was found in the 1620s below the Castel San Angelo in Rome, which in Antiquity had been Hadrian's Mausoleum. Work on the fortification was undertaken by the Barberini Pope Urban VIII in 1624. The sculpture made its first documented appearance in a receipt for its restoration, 6 June 1628, when it already belonged to the Pope's nephew, Cardinal Francesco Barberini.
It is actually a 'faun' : the Roman equivalent of a Greek satyr. In Greek mythology, satyrs were human-like male woodland spirits with several animal features, often a goat-like tail, hooves, ears, or horns. Indeed, on his back, there is a little animal tail, and on his head an ivy crown.
|Detail showing the 'tail'|
A marble copy was sculpted by Edmé Bouchardon at the French academy in Rome in 1726. And in 1775 the Duc de Chartres bought it for his elaborate garden plan at Parc Monceau. Then it went to the Parc de St Cloud, later to the Jardins du Luxembourg. Currently the sculpture is displayed at the Louvre Museum.
|Marble copy by Edmé Bouchardon - 1726 - Louvre Museum, Paris|
A video showing and explaining the original sculpture can be seen here.
Sources : Wikipédia, Louvre Museum, Glyptothek, Orsay Museum.